Thursday, January 21, 2010

So Many Thirsty Souls

Today I had a shower that lasted close to 20 minutes. I didn't need to take one this long, but the hot water was just too soothing for me to pass up. I had a pretty stressful day yesterday, so I awoke with the idea that I deserved a nice, warm shower to somehow make up for the previous day's troubles. Understandable, right? Well, needless to say, I didn't think twice or feel any shame for wasting a little water.

But when I saw this picture taken by Salgado, the shame kicked in. It shows an infant in Jakarta, Indonesia bathing himself in a bucket of water. And if this child's bucket-bath isn't enough to bring the waves of sympathy, it is also noted that the water he is using is "imported" - meaning there is no running water available. But a reliable water supply means much more than just luxury: without sufficient water supply, health is also at risk. The terrible situation in Haiti occurring right now illustrates this concept. "With further destruction of the water supply, the people of Haiti are going to be at increased risk of developing gastrointestinal diseases, food poisoning, as well as worsening of injuries sustained by those in high-risk groups like children and seniors" (Fiore).

Realistically speaking, those struggling in Haiti wouldn't have been affected any differently whether I took a 20 minute shower or skipped my shower altogether. But this doesn't mean we are completely useless in doing our part to help. An excellent place to find opportunities to give assistance in the current crisis in Haiti or other similar situations worldwide is LDS Philanthropies. There are many things we can do to help, and there are so many people in need of help. Let's do our part.

Works Cited
Fiore, Marrecca. "Doctor: Significant Long-Term Health Effects Expected in Haiti". Fox News.com. Fox News Network, 13 January 2010. Web. 21 January 2010.

Salgado, Sebastiao. Photograph. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. Aperture. New York, 2000. 362

2 comments:

  1. I love this! The simple pleasures we enjoy without thought are so much to people who do without. Just like your shower example, the other day I thought as I was eating a huge dinner (I ended up having to throw away quite a bit of it) how lucky I am to be able to do that, and how sad it is that while I'm doing that, those people in Haiti are struggling with getting anything. How sad! I also love that you put the link to LDS philanthropies. There really are a variety of things we can do to help! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a slap in the face kind of picture and post, its awakening. I agree that sometimes we forget how blessed we are, in fact I feel spoiled! We are so lucky to have meals to eat, clean water to drink, and warm beds to sleep in. Today I took a nap after class and pondered going on a diet. When I think about these people and the ones in Haiti, I feel sick about how we can diet! Those people are worried about starving to death. I hope lots of people will go to LDS philanthropies to help out. If we all work together it won’t be hard at all.

    ReplyDelete