Wednesday, February 10, 2010

53 Million Children

Photograph by Sebastião Salgado

This week’s photograph is one that was taken at the S.O.S. Orphanage in N’Dosho, a small city in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This orphanage holds more than 4,000 children. I personally find this amount to be mind-blowing – N’Dosho is just a tiny, obscure city buried deep in the colossal continent of Africa. This understanding led me to research more on the subject. What I found was troubling. According to the Inter Press Service News Agency’s website, “between 1990 and 2000, the number of orphans in Africa rose from 30.9 million to 41.5 million” (de Queiroz). This article was published in 2006, and it predicted that by 2010, there will be a haunting total of 53.1 million orphans. Whether or not they were successful in projecting their statistics four years into the future, I was unable to determine. But part of me can not help but to think pessimistically and wonder if the beginning of this decade has proven to be even more upsetting than the Inter Press Service News Agency had hoped. But like I said, this is just me thinking pessimistically. Please pray for these children.
Works Cited
Salgado, Sebastião. Photograph. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. Aperture. New York, 2000. 197.

No comments:

Post a Comment